July 18, 2013

Derek Lowe Retires

Derek Lowe:
I'm officially no longer going to play the game. ... . I'm not going to go to the Hall of Fame, so I don't feel like I need to have a retirement speech. But I was able to play 17 years on some pretty cool teams and win a World Series.
Lowe spent parts of eight seasons with the Red Sox. He came over from Seattle in one of Boston's greatest trades in 1997, saved 42 games in 2000, threw a no-hitter and won 21 games in 2002, threw one of the most filthiest breaking pitches I've ever seen to end the 2003 ALDS, and was one of The 25 in 2004. (wiki)

5 comments:

Amy said...

I know some think he was a real head case, and I guess he was, but I always liked him. When he pitched that sinker well, he was a joy to watch. But yeah, he also could make some of the nastiest faces ever!

Thanks, Derek, for all the memories, especially 2003 and 2004.

Rick said...

And don't forget what he's most famous for: Derek Lowe face.

FenFan said...

Gidget ;-)

Happy trails, Mr. Lowe

laura k said...

The Face! A real mental gidget.

Zenslinger said...

He wrote the book on how to make everyone forget a bad season -- with an awesome postseason! He also made a lot of money from the Dodgers and Braves. Good for him.