September 22, 2011

Francona: "I'm Not In A Very Good Mood Right Now"

David Ortiz:
I've never seen anything like that around here as long as I've been here. If you would have told me in August this would happen in September, I would have laughed at you. ... I've been here nine years. We've never collapsed that bad. Trust me, we've been through some tough times. But this is bad. ... Right now it's depressing.
Terry Francona:
I'm not in a very good mood right now. ... We certainly haven't made it very easy for ourselves. That doesn't mean we can't get where we want to go. But we have our work cut out for ourselves.
Dustin Pedroia:
We're not playing good. ... What are we this month? Five and ... [16] ... That's a sign of a shitty team. Good teams don't 5-16 in any month.
Carl Crawford:
We just can't really explain what's going on. ... [I]t makes a lot of people nervous. ... I'm still very confident this team will find a way to get to the playoffs.
Wild Card Odds
                 Red Sox   Rays   Angels
BP:               91.5%    6.0%    2.4%
Cool Standings:   87.3%    4.5%    7.5%
(Photo: Josh Reddick)

7 comments:

lougorman'slunch said...

Anybody know what the % is for weakest record in September (say before they clinch) for a playoff team?
I somehow feel that the sox cannot be far off the pace, but I have no idea.

allan said...

One Random Team

1998 Yankees
August 30-September 16: 6-10

Jere said...

And those world champs also started 1-4, right? A shitty first week, a shitty September...this sounds familiar....

Tonight the Yanks used Colon and Proctor in order! Two Ass Men in a row? That's laffey! Laffey? He came in next!

laura k said...

1998 Yankees
August 30-September 16: 6-10


Not completely applicable here, as that team clinched very early and may have played the bench in September.

Jere said...

From 9/14 through end of season, the 2000 Yanks went 3-15, but won it all. And they hadn't clinched yet.

laura k said...

From 9/14 through end of season, the 2000 Yanks went 3-15, but won it all. And they hadn't clinched yet.

That seems like a better comparison, since they finished with only 87 wins, and (as I mentioned in another thread), people said they "didn't deserve" and "shouldn't have" won the WS.

allan said...

Maybe that was the year I was thinking of.

Now if we can only play the Mets in the WS.