August 19, 2005

Damon Denies Steroid Rumors (Sort Of)

Johnny Damon offered a denial (of sorts) regarding rumors that he had tested positive for steroids. ... Damon said he was tested twice this year, first in spring training and again two or three months ago.
I just think people want to start something with anybody. I'd be more than happy to take any test. There's no way. If I tested positive for something, it's going to be because someone threw something in a drink or did something like that. ... There's been so many rumors in my personal life in Boston that it's been absolutely crazy. ...

I think it's because of the way I'm built. I've had people thinking that since I was in high school. ... I think it starts with a rumor, a reporter somewhere wants to see if a player will crack. They'll say anything. They want to come after stars, they want to see how people react.
It's an odd denial. Damon says he was tested twice this year, but doesn't actually say he tested negative. He also offers a possible reason out of his control if he was to test positive. ... Theo Epstein: "The reporting of this steroid issue has taken on witch-hunt proportions and I think it's wrong. That's a pretty severe accusation to be throwing around, whether it came from an Internet chat room or a newspaper. I'd like to think some actual reporting is going on."

Obviously, there was no big announcement by MLB today.

Keith Foulke will pitch a simulated game this afternoon at Angel Stadium. Epstein says that Foulke will need at least four appearances with Pawtucket. ... Trot Nixon will hit in Foulke's game. ... Tim Wakefield was taken to Anaheim Memorial Hospital. X-rays were negative and Terry Francona described the bruise as a "deep contusion on his lower shin."

Some of the Red Sox discuss the Rolling Stones, including Theo Epstein, whose favorite Stones song is "Happy", and Trot Nixon, who claims he "never listened to the Stones that much until my wife made me play some songs on a CD."

Snips from Gordon Edes's chat this afternoon (I fixed some typos):
... if all goes well tonight and tomorrow with the Seadogs, [Craig] Hansen will be called up, perhaps as early as next week ... Tuesday in KC is not out of the question. Theo hinted at as much yesterday. Hansen will be used as a reliever, almost certainly in a setup role ...

[Millar] has just about hit bottom. he's hitting .224 this month, his on base average and slugging percentage are .258 and .259, respectively, he isn't drawing walks, and his slump has all but consumed him mentally at this point. I suspect Olerud will be getting the majority of playing time the rest of the way. Forty-six hits on the road this season, just 7 extra-base hits, no home runs, that's stunning. ...

I'm guessing the Sox will pull the plug on Remlinger, perhaps as soon as tonight. ... I'm on record as saying I don't believe Manny will be in the Sox lineup next season, and the Mets are one of the few teams that could pick up that contract.
Clement / Lackey at 10:00.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All good here too. I hope the crystal ball is accurate.

Anonymous said...

Yankees Suck but not as much as their "fans" who write this kind of trash with two knows juicers are on the Yankees.